Home > DAG, Exchange, Exchange 2010, Microsoft > Unable to Seed Database copy–Exchange 2010

Unable to Seed Database copy–Exchange 2010


 

Had an interesting issue the other day;

 

Installing a new 3-node Multi-Role Exchange 2010 deployment – like so;

 

image

(for reference, the CAS array will be fronted by a Hardware box provided by the customer – probably a NetScaler or something similar)

Each of the servers was installed – each created the default “Mailbox 00915125” style databases.

 

Now, typically I rename and move the EDB/Log location for these – it always seems simpler than moving the System-type mailboxes that are located on the first 2010 mailbox database in an organisation. I did so again in this instance, renaming them and moving them to the Mount points created similar to below;

 

image

 

All seemed to be going well – so I created the 3-node DAG (placing the inactive FSW on the vCentre server for later use) and now its time to create myself a secondary copy of one of the six databases.

 

I ran the usual “add Mailbox database copy” EMC wizard, selecting the second server as a target for a copy of “DB1”. However it copied over the initial EDB file, but wouldn’t copy over any logs (and therefore sat at ~30 logs to copy/replay).

 

Event log had one error message;

 

The internal database copy (for seeding or analysis purposes) has been stopped because it was halted by the client or because the connection with the client failed.

 

Helpful. A Google search turned up This Link – and yes indeed I have SnapManager for Exchange installed (this is a NetApp based deployment after all) – however I am past the version noted (in fact am running the latest 6.0.2.x revision) – and cannot see anything on the NetApp NOW portal regarding this error.

 

Regardless I removed SME – no joy.

 

I then tried seeding a second database (after removing the DB1 copy) – and found that out of my 6 databases three wouldn’t seed;

 

DB1 – formally the default MDB on SERVER01

DB3 – formally the default MDB on SERVER02

DB5 – formally the default MDB on SERVER03

 

Strange to see but a very clear pattern. So I deleted DB1 and recreated it (initially as DB1 – however this then seemed to inherit the same MailboxDatbaseCopy object in AD so it still didn’t work so I recreated it) as MDB1 and voila it seeded. Even after renaming it back to “DB1” it caught back up (and I tested it for failure heavily later on – note to self btw – do NOT delete the boot disks from the vSphere server on an Exchange 2010 deployment. They do come back – but its not pretty and makes you sweat!).

 

So in short, if you are having problems seeding a Database to a second node, and it is the default created with Exchange 2010 SP1 – delete and try again.

 

(For reference these servers were installed with 2010 SP1 and then updated with RU3 v 3)

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: